Before you start writing a press release you'll need a topic to write about. Press releases are news items...not ads or articles. That means the rules for what is suitable for a press release are different.
Most press releases are written around new events, developments etc. in a business or tie ins to events in the news, charities the business is working with. The good news is you can write a press release about anything from a major event to really minor things like releasing a new blog post.
Reading through these topics might also give you ideas for different ways to promote your business online (for example running a poll, giving out your own awards in your niche, or helping a worthwhile charity)...
Announcements Of Something New:
- New product launch
- New service launch
- New feature (eg. an upgraded product)
- New benefit (free shipping, faster shipping, advanced features for existing customers, etc.)
- New website
- New report, infographic or video
- New offers (sales, bonuses, referral rewards, etc.)
Announcement Of The Release Of Free Information...
- Free webinar
- Free ebook (or an ebook that can now be downloaded free)
- Free tip sheet
- Free infographic
- Free report
- Free survey/poll results
- Free research results
Announcement Of Awards (Won Or Nominated For)...
- Personal Awards
- Company Awards
- Customer Satisfaction Awards
- Contest announcement
- Call for entrants
- Announcement of who is competing in the contest
- Prize winner announcement
- Contest rule updates
Personnel Or Company Changes...
- New hire to an existing position
- New hire to a new position
- Company anniversary
- Product anniversary
- Product milestone (eg. number of users, number of installs, new countries sold to)
- Need survey participants
- Need beta testers
- Need donations
- Odd product facts
- Interesting case studies
- Entertaining use case studies (eg. fun ways customers use the product/service)
- Strange/interesting customer facts
- Announcement that a business is supporting a charity
- Announcement of a charity drive
- Free product or discount product or service for donators to a charity
- Charity success story (funds raised, people helped etc)